Wednesday, June 4, 2014

London 2.0



Day nine of the trip and day two of London consisted mainly of a really awesome bus tour. Yes, of course it was a red double-decker bus, and yes, of course we sat on the top. Since we didn’t have very long in London, this was a really great way to see a lot of things really fast. It was a little disappointing that we couldn’t get out and visit them all, however. Among the sites that we saw were Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, the London Bridge, London Tower, the London Tower, and many other things. It was also very nice to see most of the town without having to walk around. I definitely got quite a bit of exercise on this trip.
                After lunch, Mr. Greenlee took us to Westminster Abbey, which was easily my favorite part of the London excursion and hands-down my favorite cathedral of the entire trip. It is so large and some of the greatest people in history are buried or memorialized there. I could list them for days, but some that were included were Newton, Darwin, Chaucer, C.S. Lewis, Lewis Carroll, Jane Austen, and many others. Plus, this is the place where royal weddings and coronations take place. Westminster is seriously massive, and I enjoyed all of the smaller areas that you could go into.
                I could have spent forever there, but unfortunately we had to leave. Before catching our train back, we had some time to walk along the Thames, past Big Ben and the London Eye. I really wish that we could have had more time in London, and I definitely want to visit again. When I first got to Paris, I was charmed by the architecture and history, but turned off by some of the unfriendly people and the dirtiness. London, however, is very quaint, yet still more modern. Plus, they speak English! I’m not one of those people that thinks everyone should speak my language, but it is definitely much more comforting and easier to enjoy a country when they do.




No comments:

Post a Comment